Monday, August 23, 2010

Through a Glass Darkly


I have been thinking a lot about mirrors lately.  Soon, I have to move my big dresser mirror, and I'm worried about breaking it, not because I believe in the superstition of seven years of bad luck, but rather, because it was handcrafted by the Amish, was quite expensive, and I am worried about losing something that I really like a lot.  For other reasons, I have been thinking about mirrors a bit more metaphorically.

Looking at my reflection has not been a pleasant experience these days. Too much sun has caused skin damage.  I'm noticing more and more wrinkles around my eyes, and am constantly trying to hide the facial sag that comes with age.  I am having a hard time finding any black hair underneath the ever-increasing stands of gray. But that's not really what I'm referring to.  I'm talking about what I see past the accidentals.  I'm talking about what I see underneath all of that.

I am no Scripture scholar, and, in fact, I find that, despite my years of studying theology, I tend to misinterpret Scripture or just plain miss the point. But there is no missing the point of 1 Corinthians 13, and it speaks of seeing through a mirror; echoing my thoughts and, in fact, stating them much better than I am able.  So, instead of my usual ramblings, I thought I'd let St. Paul speak today.  Even if you are reluctant to read scripture, or are not a religious person, this passage speaks volumes to all of us:


1 And I point out to you a yet more excellent way.  If I should speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have charity, I have become as sounding brass or a tinkling symbol.
2 And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, yet do not have charity, I am nothing.
3 And if I distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I deliver my body to be burned, yet do not have charity, it profits me nothing.
4 Charity is patient, is kind, charity does not envy, is not pretentious, is not puffed up, 5 is not ambitious, is not self-seeking, is not provoked, thinks no evil, 6 does not rejoice over wickedness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears with all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Charity never fails, whereas prophecies will disappear, and tongues will cease, and knowledge will be destroyed. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part; 10 but when that which is perfect has come, that which is imperfect will be done away with.  11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away the things of a child.  12 We see now through a mirror in an obscure manner, but then face to face.  Now I know in part, but then I shall know even as I have been known. 13 So there abide faith, hope and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

2 comments:

  1. It's pretty hard to misinterpret these eloquent yet profound words. Although sometimes hard to practice them. Spiritual food for thought at a very appropriate time. Good luck on your surgery too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much. Mine is minor, especially compared to yours (and sadly, there's no organizing going on at my place, although it dearly needs it)

    ReplyDelete