Monday, May 17, 2010

Pardon Our Dust...

Eyjafjallajokull.  Has anyone tried to pronounce this???  I am grateful for the "cut and paste" options on my computer, although I note that most news reports and, in fact, many articles, do not use the actual name of the Icelandic volcano, but, instead, refer to it as "The Volcano in Iceland".   For a fun video on media folks actually trying to pronounce the name of the volcano, watch this one:
 

Well, this little geological wonder is causing my temperature to rise.  No, I have no travel plans; however, this Wednesday, 66 of my "tinies" are slated to leave for London from Chicago O'Hare or Washington Dulles airport for their six week summer program in London.  Since January, I have worked frantically on this program, from reading applications and selecting students from the hoardes that applied, to having various "pre-departure meetings" in order to answer the many questions that college students have about spending time abroad (such as:  "how late do pubs stay open" and "do cars really drive on the other side of the road?).  There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into successfully putting together such a huge program.  Part of my job, too, is to construct contingency plans in case of last minute changes:  students withdrawing the day before,, sicknesses or other family emergenices, flight delays...you name it.

How on earth can you can plan for a volcano???!!!  Airports in the UK were closed last night due to a big cloud of ash.  When I heard the news, I began spewing profanities, and nearly blew my top.  Eyjafjallajokull has already claimed it's first ND summer program victim, in that one of our professors from the main campus was due to fly to London yesterday, so that he would have a few days to get organized and prepare his class.  Alas, he is now stuck in Chicago (probably living it up at the Palmer House or some other hardship).  His is a small problem and can be easily dealt with.  Delaying 66 students for a program that is tightly planned and PAID FOR, is another matter.  A one or two day delay might be dealt with; however, anything more than that and we're cooked.  Accommodation has contracted for, professors have been hired, and who knows what other unrecoverable costs there are?  Without student tuition, there will be massive financial losses.

But, as long as it doesn't come out of my paycheck, I guess it's ok.  After all, it's out of my control.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when the dust settles.  In the end, all of our hopes for a great summer program may very well go up in smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment